Four retailers with owner comments and ratings were found. These are shown in the table below. The average consumer rating for the One Plus is 93.0 out of 100, or 4.65 stars out of 100. You can see how that compares to other sewing machines in our ratings table if you wish.
|Amazon||4.6 stars out of 5||122|
|HSN||4.7 stars out of 5||11|
|Joann||5 stars out of 5||1|
|Sewing Machines Plus||5 stars out of 5||6|
A review of consumer comments yielded the following list of pros and cons:
- Smooth stitching and operation
- Can create custom stitches
- Automatic needle threader works well
- Easy to use
- Large sewing area
- Great retro design
- Sufficient sewing area illumination
- Must unplug foot pedal to use start/stop button
- DVD is generic and not specific to the One Plus
- LCD panel is functional but quite low resolution
There is consensus that this sewing machine is a good fit for both the novice and the experienced seamstress. Almost all owners report that the machine is easy to setup and use, although there is sometimes confusion when first learning to thread the machine and the needle. The instructional material is rather poor and some consumers struggle with getting the unit threaded at first.
Also a number of owners feel that the machine is a bit larger than they expected. It is also a little heavier than they expected. However none felt that these were significant issues but rather more of a surprise. The One Plus comes with an instructional DVD. This lengthy DVD (about an hour long) is a great resource for users of manual and electronic sewing machines and it contains all kinds of demonstrations. However it is not tailored specifically for the Singer One Plus so, for example, you cannot follow the threading instructions exactly because a different machine is used. This has frustrated some owners, although as a general resource the DVD is good.
The manual and the Quick Start Sheet are also not particularly detailed or well-written and diagrams can be a bit confusing. But fortunately most of the machines features are fairly easy to use.
Finally, while the One Plus has decorative stitches, some of them require a twin needle. However a twin needle is not provide with the machine and there are some grumblings from folks who have had to go out and purchase one.
You can read more customer reviews on Amazon if you wish.
- 231 built in stitches (212 decorative, 5 stretch, 7 essential, 6 fully automatic 1-step buttonholes, 1 endless buttonhole.)
- Stitch selection dial
- Save and edit select stitch combinations
- Block alphabet and numbers (for adding text stitches)
- Pattern Elongation on select decorative stitches
- Manual override of automatic stitch length & width settings
- Max stitch width of 7mm
- One cycle stitch button (sews a single unit of the stitch)
- Tacking stitch button (tie off any stitch)
- Center zigzag taper
- LCD display screen
- Automatic needle threader
- Twin needle capable
- Needle up/down
- 13 needle positions
- Snap on presser feet
- Presser foot sensor
- Automatic presser foot pressure control
- Extra high presser foot lift
- Drop & sew bobbin system
- 3 LED lights illuminating sewing area
- Feed dogs can be lowered
- 7-segment feed system (feed dogs move in box motion)
- Large sewing area (14.7" sewing arm)
- Start/stop button
- Automatic tension
- Speed control lever
- Maximum speed of 750 stitches per minute
- Reverse button
- Removable Free arm
- Built in thread cutter
Many accessories are provided with the Singer One Plus including 5 presser feet: All-Purpose Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, One-step Buttonhole Foot, and a Zipper Foot. In addition, there is a package of needles, class 15 bobbins, spool caps, an auxiliary spool pin, pin felt, a screwdriver (for the needle plate), and a seam ripper/lint brush. Also provided are the machine introduction DVD (which, as previously mentioned, isn’t really about the Singer One Plus), a manual, a Quick Start Guide, a foot control, and (fortunately) a power cord. The accessories can be stored in the built-in storage area which is in the free arm. The sewing machine also comes with a soft dust cover.
The One Plus weighs a hefty 18.5 lbs and some owners note that it is a bit heavier than expected. It is also UL listed and it carries a 25 year warranty. One should note however that this “25 year” warranty breaks down as follows: - 25 years on the sewing machine head. - 5 years on the motor, light assembly, wiring, switches, speed control and electronic components. - 1 year on adjustments, belts, rings, bulbs ad attachments.
POST YOUR COMMENTS