87.6 The Brother XR9000 is fairly lightweight and owners really like the extra long quilting arm and the drop-in bobbin. In addition, features that provide extra convenience include a start/stop button, needle up/down button, reverse button and an adjustable speed lever. There are some comments regarding the material not feeding straight through the machine however but these are in the minority. All-in-all consumer ratings are quite respectable but not stellar. [REF Brother Sewing Machine Reviews]
The Brother XR9000 gets average consumer ratings when compared to other Brother sewing machines. The highest rated Brother machine we have looked at to date is the Brother PC-420 Project Runway Sewing Machine which scored a staggering 96.1. The lowest rated Brother to date is the Brother XL3750 which scored 81.9. So the XR9000 with a score of 87.6 is average at least for a Brother (it is a good score for a Singer, for example, which frequently get lower scores).
Consumer ratings found on a number of quality sites are provided in the table below.
|Amazon||3.8 stars out of 5||16|
|Overstock||4.6 stars out of 5||78|
|Costco||4.07 stars out of 5||14|
|Viewpoints||4.18 stars out of 5||11|
You can read more customer reviews for the Brother XR9000 on Amazon.
This low to mid-priced Brother sewing machine can be found online for about $200.00, plus or minus a few dollars. Consumers generally find this machine quite easy to use and like the computer controlled stitches (which also provides stitch width and length control). The ability to slow the unit down using the speed control is a feature that some find useful when teaching beginners or when working on a particular tricky part of a project.
The XR9000 does come with a number of accessories but the on-board storage is in the form of a pouch behind the front panel. Some folks would have preferred a proper drawer or compartment. Also, there are comments about users struggling to keep the material feeding through the machine in a straight line. A list of common pros and cons as described by consumers can be seen below.
- LCD screen is easy to use
- Needle up/down capability
- Drop-in bobbin
- Speed control
- Lightweight machine
- Computerized stitching makes quick stitch changes easy
- Machine is, in general, easy to operate
- Extra large table helps a lot with quilting
- Storage for accessories is a plastic pouch behind the front panel
- Presser foot height is not adjustable
- Sometimes fabric doesnt feed through straight
- Doesnt sew through multiple layers of fabric that well
Key Sewing Machine Features
- 80 stitches (utility, decorative, heirloom)
- 120 stitch functions
- Computerized stitch selection via LCD screen
- Stitch width and length control
- Automatic needle threader
- Built-in thread cutter
- Thread tension control
- Adjustable sewing speed
- Variable needle positions
- 8 styles of one-step buttonholes (bartack, round, keyhole, stretch knit, jacket, heirloom, eyelet, straight stitch outline)
- Oversized table
- One touch start/stop/reverse
- Automatic bobbin winding
- Drop feed capable (for free motion quilting)
- Built-in sewing font
- Hard cover
- LED light for sewing area
- Foot pedal
The XR9000 comes with many accessories including several presser feet (buttonhole, button stitch, zipper, blind hem, etc.) and quilting accessories. Weighing in at a very light 10 lbs the machine is fairly portable. It also has a built-in carry handle making it easier to move. A protective hard cover is provided to keep off dust and ensure the machine does not get banged or hit, especially during moving. It comes with an instruction manual in both English and Spanish, and it carries a 25-year limited warranty.
POST YOUR COMMENTS